Monday, February 20, 2012

iOS Development with MonoTouch Cookbook

I was recently given the opportunity to review Dimitris' iOS Development with MonoTouch CookbookBook Covert
My first thought on the book was "do we need another book in this niche?".  I was the first to attack the niche with my book that came out in June, 2010.  Since then, Mike Bluestein's book has shipped.  Right after that Bryan Costanich's book shipped.  My book was based on iOS 3.  Mike and Bryan's books are based on iOS4.  After reading this book, the answer is yes.  There are two reasons for this:
  • Dimitris' book covers iOS5 material.  I was glad to read through the section on page turning (the curl), which is an iOS5 feature.   There are also examples about twitter integration and other iOS5 features.
  • The book has lots of little self contained examples.  I don't like books that try to build off of one example throughout the whole book, in fact, I HATE them.  There I said it.  If you have one example that builds through out your book, I just don't like it.  This book has lots of little examples.  I LOVE it that way.  These examples are just that, short examples where I can look for what I need, get the content, and bom, get on back with the larger problems I am trying to solve.  This is a danger when  only one author is involved, but thankfully, this issue did not occur in this book.
Bottom line, if you are looking to get into iPhone development and are a .NET developer, this is a good book.

No comments: